Friday, October 22, 2010

Toddler Time

089092
After I wrote up the Party bag post, I had a friend mention she would like to have a watch for her son. Conveniently, his birthday was just two weeks away so I made one. But I also made a time telling chart loosely based on this one made by Cheri from I am Momma Hear me Roar. Since I was going with a time theme for this gift I wanted to make my time chart round like a clock face. I found the Spontan magnet board at Ikea and knew that it was perfect.
Supplies
The first thing you have to do is find the center of the circular board, so here is your mini-Geometry lesson for the day. The perpendicular bisector of any chord passes through the center of the circle. So a quick way to find the center is to use a ruler to draw a straight line across your circle and find the center of that line and mark it. Then line up your ruler so that it’s perpendicular and passing through your mark. Your ruler is now the diameter of the circle. Cut that distance in half and you’ve got the center. Be sure to mark this point.
041 046
In order to divide the board into 7 sectors either use a protractor and measure 51.4 degree angles from the center or print out a heptagon like this one and center it on your board and use it to place your lines with the pinstripe tape.
048059
At the center of the circle, drill 2 small holes. Be sure to have some scrap wood behind it when you drill..065
To make an arrow spinner I cut a piece of cardboard into the shape I wanted, cut a strip of magnet for the back and punched a hole in the cardboard. I made a fabric covering for the arrow and used a eyelet to reinforce the hole. I also freeze paper stenciled the word “Today” on the arrow then I sewed the arrow on the board through the 2 holes and a button that was larger than the eyelet.
077 079 088 
080I don’t have any fancy vinyl but I do have a sticker maker so I printed the days of the week onto some cardstock  and ran them through. Then I adhered them to the board. If you don’t have either you could just mod podge them on.





Lastly, I made the activity magnets out of shrinky-dinks, gluing magnets to the back after they are shrunk.
021
That’s it. Hopefully this will help with those “when are we going to _______?” moments.089
I finished it about 10 minutes before I had to leave for the party. Funny how my timing works out that way.090
Happy birthday Annie!
Ruth

1 comment:

  1. This is such an awesome to help a little one understand the day of the week and the activities he/she can expect!

    ReplyDelete