Friday, October 1, 2010

Ruth’s Kid’s Clothing Week Wrap-up

I know this is almost a week belated but after all the sewing I needed a break. I got so into this challenge my poor husband barely saw me all week. I definitely spent more than an hour each day. I can not believe how much I was able to sew for Ash in a single week. Look how beautiful it all is047

Here is the Final Tally: 1 pair of shorts, 2 pairs of PJ bottoms (one was a failure), 4 ringer t-shirts using this tutorial (one was a failure), and 10 pairs of Underwear!


I worked on the underwear on Day 1, 6, and 7. The pattern is from That Darn Kat and can be found here. It was very well written. It also comes with a cute variation for girls panties. I had so much fun mixing and matching colors and got totally sentimental as I cut up some of Ash’s old PJs and my maternity clothes. They are so adorable and tiny and I want to just cuddle with them (before they get used of course)

The only problem with them is that Ash seems to have inherited my minority booty and the size 2 fit perfectly right now. I think we are still 6 months away from potty training so I’m a little worried these will never be used. That’s okay, they make pretty good hats too.010





I really enjoyed all the sewing for Ash and I learned a few things too.

  1. Never sew without Haley, she is my technique guru and I am convinced that all my failures happen when she isn’t around. Although I guess those mistakes are valuable cause I rarely make them twice
  2. a simple pinch can adjust the neck without changing any other dimension.
  3. Sewing elastic directly to the waistband instead of making a casing for it stretches it out. You need to compensate for that in you measurements or just settle for some saggy pants.

Big thanks to Meg at Elsie Marley. This was an inspiring challenge. I am really looking forwards to doing it again.

Now to make something for myself…


1 comment: