Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mystery Recipe

007
I recently came across an old notebook that I used in college. In it was the following list
  • 2 cup flour
  • 2 Tbs Sugar
  • 1 Tbs  Baking Powder
  • Salt
  • 1/3 cup Shortening
  • 1 cup Milk
There was no indication what this list was or any cooking directions, but clearly it made something. Why would I write measurements if it didn’t? The ingredients are cheap so I figured that I’d throw it all together bake it at 350 degrees until golden brown (generic baking directions) and see what it was. When I tasted the dough I knew exactly what it was. My Aunt Ruth used to make a delicious Strawberry shortcake. This was the light biscuity cake part. I was thrilled. My aunt passed away a couple of years ago and though my mom insisted that the recipe came out of some book we had I knew that Aunt Ruth never made recipes the way they were in the book. There was always some substitution usually to cut out some of the fat. Once I knew what it was I knew how to finish it off. Spread the dough in a greased pie pan, sprinkle some sugar on top and … bake it at 350 degrees until golden brown. To serve slice fresh strawberries and add a little sugar to them. let them sit and get juicy. The cake will soak up that juice and be so yummy.

003
Ruth

1 comment:

  1. Yup, this is definitely your aunt's recipe altered from that old Betty Crocker cookbook that is falling apart. Actual oven temp should be 400 for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. What I like about this is that it's got just a hint of sweetness and great texture.

    ReplyDelete